The Daily Deal - Vol.3
DAY THREE – IT’S HEATING UP
• MOVING ON UP...
Day Three has come around at lightening speed; which matches the ambitions of our cohort hitting the pool today. School record holder Izzy Jones took to the Forge with Rachel Anderson in the 200 Fly; a host of boys battled in the 100 Free, with the oldest record left on the board up for grabs; the girls hit sprint life hard for their 50 free and the 400 IM and 1500 boys showed their grit later on in the morning.
• The 200 Fly girls were up first. In one of the toughest events the sport has to offer the girls gave a good account of themselves. Rachel set yet another personal best to finish in 2.17.9 postioning herself 2nd for the final, she will be looking to add another medal to her impressive haul. School record holder Izzy was up next in one of her final races in the Millfield green before she heads out to the USA. She gave her all to the race but just missed a place in the final.
• Next up were the 100 Freestyle boys. Calvin was the first to hit the water; speeding through the back 50 to secure a place in the final in a new best time. Stan swam a well paced race that was bang on his best but just missed out on a final. He will look to improve on this time in the relays later this week. Huw was next up; with Mark Foster’s legendary record in his sights. He shifted through the gears to touch in a new school record! He will have his work cut out in a strong final line up. The seniors then showed the youngsters how it was done with two technically outstanding swims from Hamish and Louis. Louis showed great backend speed to grab a space and a chance in the final.
• Emma, Yasmine and Tati were next, vying with the other speedsters. Yasmine and Tati both swam strongly, just missing out on finals. Emma started strong but just missed out on a tough final cut.
• Jakob and Will competed in the 400 IM next, with two discinctly different race plans coming into play. Will utilised his strengths by hitting the breaststroke hard, taking chunks out of the field to finish first in a huge PB. Jakob used his front end speed to get out to an early lead and held on for another best time. Both will look to improve tonight in their finals.
• BEAST MODE ENGAGED...
It’s finals time once again! Speed vs endurance took the centre stage this evening, with our 100 free sprinters taking on our 200 fly, 400 IM and 1500 distance lovers. The stage was set for another night of success for the Millfield crew and as usual, they didn’t disappoint.
• First up was Kieran Bird in the fastest heat of the 1500. Kieran has a tough slate of racing and the 1500 was no different. Taking the race by the scruff of the neck early, Kieran showed his mental toughness by hanging on and grabbing a PB and a national title!
• Rachel looked to continue her brilliant run of form from the meet and as usual she didn’t disappoint. Her trademark grit and toughness shined through as she swam a massively gutsy race to grab silver; her fourth medal of the meet.
• Speed took centre stage next as Calvin, Huw, Louis and OM Tom Kingham looked to make waves in the 100 free. Calvin swam a fantastic race, showing guts and improved technical choices on the way out to come back in a new personal best. Huw stepped up next, taking on his Welsh compatriot for the title. After a storming first 50, Huw surged down the 2nd length to smash the school record for a second time. And grab a silver medal. Louis and TK swam gamely in a fast and extremely close race; finishing 9th and 10th respectively.
• Distance got the final say of the evening session. In the 400 IM boys. Will Ellington fresh from his brilliant heat stepped up with another fanatstic performance; finishing in 6th place with a very encouraging breatstroke leg. Jakob had the crowd on the edge of thier seat before the race even starting; the front end master and the peoples champion. Jakob showed his tenacity and versatility to take the silver.
Make sure you keep up with all the news by following us on Instagram and Twitter!
Most Recent Articles
- Regional Age Group Championships
- Regional Youth Championships
- British Swimming Championships
- Millfield & Street TYR Super Series
- ESSA Inter-Divisional Championships
- National Arena League Cup Final
- Somerset Counties
- Flanders Cup
- Swim England Winter Championships Report
- Millfield progress to the National Arena League Cup Final